Teachers who are new to MPS are back in class during the week of August 3, 2020. Before they prepare for students to return, new educators are receiving orientation, onboarding, mentoring, classroom tools, and more so they can have a successful school year.
About 100 new teachers are attending five full days of virtual professional development to prepare for their first year in MPS. Each day features a guest speaker including Superintendent Dr. Keith P. Posley, Milwaukee Board of School Directors President Larry Miller, Interim Chief Academic Officer Dr. Jeremiah Holiday, MTEA President Amy Mizialko, James Henderson of Educators Credit Union, and MPS Senior Director of Organizational Development Lonnie Anderson.
Sessions cover a wide range of topics that relate to long-term practices as well as current technology needs, including:
- Ambitious Instruction 3.0
- Building Relationships Through Culturally and Linguistically Responsible Teaching Practices
- Instructional Technology and Online Instruction
- Exploring MPS Digital Library Resources
- Classroom Management
- Brain Breaks
- Mentoring Support
- Human Resource Supports
- Best Practice in Assessment
- Introduction to Special Education
MPS is excited to welcome our new and returning teachers for another exciting school year!